“Many companies regret not doing more comparison shopping when choosing their accreditor. Sometimes the cheapest selection ends up costing more in terms of service, additional fees, or resource burdens for the provider,” says Tim Safley, ACHC’s Director of DMEPOS, Pharmacy, and Sleep.
Providers may think they are locked into their current accreditation organization, or that there is little difference among accreditors. “In fact, there is much to be gained by looking closely at how accreditation organizations stack up in terms of understanding an organization, their approach to the survey, the quality of their Surveyors, educational support, reputation within the industry, as well as price and pricing options,” Safley says.
Costs can vary significantly among accreditation organizations. In determining the complete cost of your three-year accreditation, make sure you understand how the AO structures fees by asking the right questions and demanding transparency.
- Is the accreditation cost a flat rate or based on the size of your organization?
- Is the accreditation cost a one-time charge at the beginning of the cycle or are there additional annual fees?
- Are Surveyor travel expenses included?
- What are the charges if a resurvey is required?
- Is there a charge for standards initially?
- Is there a charge when standards are updated?
- Does the AO offer payment options to help better manage cash flow?
To avoid surprises, make sure all fees are disclosed and detailed in the agreement you establish and consult with your company’s legal counsel if you have concerns.
At ACHC, our pricing is all-inclusive, so you know exactly what you are paying for up front. This price covers your survey as well as all three years of your accreditation. In addition, payment options are available. While there is a $199 charge to obtain standards initially, a $100 discount is applied towards accreditation if your organization contracts with ACHC. There is never a charge when standards are updated. ACHC also allows for additional discounts on accreditation if you are a member of an ACHC partner organization, or attend an ACHC workshop. For further information, contact us at 855-937-2242.